Monday, July 4, 2016

Fashion speaks LOUDER than words.

There is a popular saying that "actions can speak louder than words". 

It's a well-known idea that what we do has more of an impact than what we say. But an intriguing thought, is how fashion can also speaker louder than words. Our clothing can speak louder than our own words, and has the ability to convey our identities.

Am I being too philosophical? LOL YES. Before I get too carried away, let me explain my story. I have always been interested in fashion. Though I do not consider myself a fashionista, I do believe that I'm not completely hopeless in the world of fashion.

In our society, clothing has become a form of self-expression. How?

When I was in middle school, my fashion statement consisted of skinny jeans paired with t-shirts from specific brands like Hollister, Aeropostale, and Abercrombie & Fitch. But I only formed this style because of the feeling I had to fit in. As a 13 year student, I wanted to blend in with what others were wearing. And as a result, my fashion statement spoke loudly of my desire to conform to society.

When I joined the forensics team (speech and debate), I was told what we were to wear to competitions. I could not wear pantsuits (because of gender related stereotypes that judges might have). I had to have a matching two-piece suit (to make myself seem assertive and professional). And the suit had to be colored (to stand out, I suppose). Even the idea that all women were to wear similar-style-clothing spoke loudly that we were a team. A professional, good-looking, team. HAHA. 

Every artifact of clothing we have tells a story. Even to this day, my mom still holds onto her wedding dress. I still have sweatshirts gifted to me by my ex-boyfriends (don't know why). We all buy clothing with school logos, favorite bands, etc. Sometimes, clothing becomes an artifact of our past lives. And we hold onto these clothes as a reminder of our past and what lessons we've learned. 

Welcome to a New Series:
Essentially, I'm hoping to take my blog towards a more fashion-inspired direction.

For a long time, I have had a deep-rooted admiration for Humans of New York (for more information, click here), and their ability to portray unique stories of people in NY. But, what really caught my interest was the way these people were dressed. Like mentioned above, I truly believe that our fashion and style is shaped by our past experiences, and stories. Every shirt tells a story. 

In ClothedByStrength, I hope to feature different people and to share their stories too. To find out about their past journey, and their future aspirations. And to share about how all of that has shaped their fashion style. And most importantly, to help myself become more "fashionable" in the process. Jk. Kind Of. 

Thanks for reading this lengthy introduction & I hope you also follow along in this journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment